Crispy Tofu and Vegetables
- 2 cups fresh sugar snap peas (8 ounces)
- 1 12- to 16-ounce package light, reduced-fat, or regular extra-firm tub-style tofu (fresh bean curd), drained (see tip, page 00)
- 3 tablespoons reduced-sodium teriyaki sauce or soy sauce
- 1/4 cup yellow cornmeal
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
- 2 teaspoons toasted sesame oil
- 1 medium red sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 1 medium yellow sweet pepper, cut into thin strips
- 8 green onions, cut into 2-inch pieces
- 2 teaspoons cooking oil
- 1 tablespoon white or black sesame seed, toasted (optional) (see tip page 000)
1. Remove strings and tips from pea pods; cut in half. Set pea pods aside. Cut tofu crosswise into eight 1/2-inch-thick slices. Arrange slices in a single layer in a 2-quart rectangular baking dish. Pour 2 tablespoons of the teriyaki sauce over tofu; turn slices to coat. Let stand at room temperature for 15 minutes.
2. In a shallow dish combine cornmeal and ground red pepper. Drain tofu, discarding marinade. Carefully dip tofu slices in cornmeal mixture; press gently to coat both sides. Set tofu slices aside.
3. Pour 1 teaspoon of the sesame oil into a large nonstick skillet. Preheat over medium-high heat. Stir-fry sweet pepper strips for 2 minutes. Add pea pods and green onions; stir-fry for 2 to 3 minutes more or until crisp-tender.
4. Remove skillet from heat; stir in the remaining 1 tablespoon teriyaki sauce. Transfer vegetable mixture to a serving platter; cover and keep warm. Wipe skillet clean.
5. In the same skillet heat the remaining 1 teaspoon sesame oil and the cooking oil over medium heat. Cook the coated tofu slices for 2-1/2 to 3 minutes on each side or until crisp and golden brown, using a spatula to turn carefully. Serve tofu slices over vegetable mixture. If desired, sprinkle with sesame seeds.
6. Makes 4 main-dish servings
- Calories 151,
- Total Fat (g) 6,
- Saturated Fat (g) 1,
- Monounsaturated Fat (g) 1,
- Polyunsaturated Fat (g) 1,
- Cholesterol (mg) 0,
- Sodium (mg) 473,
- Carbohydrate (g) 15,
- Total Sugar (g) 2,
- Fiber (g) 3,
- Protein (g) 9,
- Vitamin A (DV%) 0,
- Vitamin C (DV%) 196,
- Calcium (DV%) 6,
- Iron (DV%) 14,
- Starch (d.e.) .5,
- Vegetables (d.e.) 1,
- Lean Meat (d.e.) 1,
- Fat (d.e.) .5,
- Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet