Tuesday, January 19, 2010

Spanish Rice


Well, I am back, as promised...to post the recipe.

It was very good, and I think if you added soem black beans it would make a phenomenal vegetarian dish (look what you started Nathalie!).

Here is the picture of my dinner. The steak was great,and I limited myself to only five strips!

Here is the recipe for Spanish Rice, the only thing I changed is that I used brown rice to make it healthier. I also posted the nutritional facts!






Spanish Rice
Ingredients
  • 1/2 cup chopped onion (1 medium)
  • 1/2 cup chopped green sweet pepper
  • 1 clove garlic, minced
  • 1 tablespoon cooking oil
  • 1 teaspoon chili powder
  • 1 28-ounce can tomatoes, cut up
  • 1 cup water
  • 3/4 cup uncooked long grain rice
  • 1 4-ounce can diced green chile peppers, undrained
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
  • Several dashes bottled hot pepper sauce (optional)
  • 1/2 cup shredded cheddar cheese (optional)

Directions

1. In a large skillet cook onion, sweet pepper, and garlic in hot oil until tender. Add chili powder; cook 1 minute more. Stir in undrained tomatoes, water, rice, chile peppers, salt, pepper, and, if desired, several dashes hot pepper sauce. Bring to boiling; reduce heat. Simmer, covered, about 20 minutes or until rice is tender and most of the liquid is absorbed. If desired, sprinkle with the shredded cheese.

2. Makes about 5 cups (6 to 8 side-dish servings)

Nutrition Facts

  • Calories 144,
  • Total Fat (g) 3,
  • Saturated Fat (g) 0,
  • Cholesterol (mg) 0,
  • Sodium (mg) 353,
  • Carbohydrate (g) 27,
  • Fiber (g) 2,
  • Protein (g) 4,
  • Vitamin A (DV%) 0,
  • Vitamin C (DV%) 59,
  • Calcium (DV%) 8,
  • Iron (DV%) 11,
  • Starch (d.e.) 1.5,
  • Fat (d.e.) .5,
  • Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet

Now, I should probably work on my homework since I have been pushing that to the back burner the past few days!

No comments:

Post a Comment