Tuesday, January 26, 2010

Tofu and Super Hula Hoop


Hello everyone!

This is my dinner: Sesame Tofu Stir-Fry. Once again, it was delicious. I know I always say that...but I love food and flavors and I am not picky at all. So this was my second successful vegetarian meal! Both my husband and my brother LOVED it. The Tofu was amazing....not slimy like I have had before. It was the perfect texture!
I used brown rice instead of white because it is better for you.




Here is the recipe, taken from the Better Homes and Gardens Cookbook

Ingredients
1/4 cup finely chopped peanuts
1 tablespoon sesame seeds
1 teaspoon grated fresh ginger or 1/2 teaspoon ground ginger
1/8 teaspoon crushed red pepper
1 12-ounce package firm or extra-firm tub-style tofu (fresh bean curd), drained and cut into 1/2-inch cubes
1 tablespoon cooking oil
1 16-oz. bag frozen stir-fry vegetables, thawed
2/3 cup bottled stir-fry sauce
2 cups hot cooked rice
2 green onions, thinly sliced (1/4 cup)
1 medium orange, cut into 8 wedges

Directions
1. In a bowl combine 1 tablespoon of the peanuts, the sesame seeds, ginger, and red pepper. Add tofu; toss gently to coat.
2. Heat oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. (If necessary, add more oil during cooking.) Add tofu mixture to skillet. Cook, stirring gently, for 3 to 4 minutes until sesame seeds are toasted and tofu begins to brown.
3. Remove tofu mixture to a bowl. Add vegetables to skillet; cook and stir for 2 to 3 minutes or until heated through. Add stir-fry sauce; cook and stir gently until mixture is bubbly. Stir in tofu; heat through. Serve over rice. Sprinkle each serving with some of the remaining 3 tablespoons peanuts and the green onions. Serve with orange wedges.
4. Makes 4 servings

Nutrition Facts
Calories 386, Total Fat 14 g, Saturated Fat 2 g, Cholesterol 1 mg, Sodium 1054 mg, Carbohydrate 45 g, Fiber 6 g, Protein 19 g. Daily Values: Vitamin A 0%, Vitamin C 58%, Calcium 13%, Iron 17%. Exchanges: Vegetable 1, Starch 1.5, Other Carbohydrate 1, Medium-Fat Meat 2, Fat .5.
Percent Daily Values are based on a 2,000 calorie diet


So how was your day? I had a pretty good day. I got up and did my jog in place and yoga, then I did I very tiring 50 minute workout after lunch. I have been working on strength exercises to start building muscle and I can really feel it in my legs and abs! I am beginning to hate Super Hula Hoop on the Wii Fit. Well, I should say it's a love/hate relationship. I love it because it burns a lot of calories and I can feel it working, I hate it because it hurts and makes me think I am dying! I can now get 700 plus spins in three minutes, which earns me four stars...the highest you can get. WOO! What sucks is when I put my workout on random and I somehow get this twice...ugh. But as my personal Wii trainer reminds me, I "visualize my ideal body" and it gets me through.

That's about it for me. I am looking forward to reading all of your blogs and hearing about your progress. It is amazing that we all have all made into our fourth week. Great job!

No comments:

Post a Comment