Monday, January 18, 2010

Vegetarian Challenge

Nathalie challenged us to make a vegetarian meal once a week. Tonight I tried my first vegatarian meal! It was so yummy! It was also suprisingly filling! I will definitely make this again! I made Creamy Spinach Tortellini. You can find the recipe online, but I will post it on here, too.

This is my tortellini cooking.





















All the veggies I put in it, I LOVE veggies, so I admit I put in a little extra!




















This is the finished product. I served it with some yummy red grapes.
























Here is the recipe: Taken from http://allrecipes.com/Recipe/Creamy-Spinach-Tortellini/Detail.aspx

Creamy Spinach Tortellini

Ingredients

  • 1 (9 ounce) package refrigerated cheese tortellini
  • 2 tablespoons Butter
  • 1 small onion, chopped
  • 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
  • 1/2 cup grated Parmesan cheese
  • 1/2 cup milk
  • fresh mushrooms, sliced
  • 1 (10 ounce) package frozen chopped spinach, thawed and drained
  • cherry tomatoes, halved

Directions

  1. Cook tortellini according to package directions.
  2. Heat butter in a large skillet over medium heat. Stir in onion; cook until soft and translucent. Mix in cream cheese, parmesan, milk, mushrooms, and spinach.
  3. Gently mix in tortellini and cherry tomatoes with skillet contents; warm through, and serve.

The calorie count was a little high, 557! But it said it makes 4 servings and I had WAY less than a fourth of it! Also, I replaced the cream cheese with neufchatel (low-fat cream cheese), I didn't use parmesan...because I don't like parmesan (I know I am weird), and I used Skim milk, so I am sure the calorie count was a lot less. I also added some garlic while I was cooking the onions and some pepper.
It was so delicious! It was creamy and like I said, it was surprisingly filling. Even my husband liked it and he is the world's pickiest eaters, of course he picked out the tomatoes and said there was too much spinach.
If you didn't want this to be vegetarian I would suggest some chicken marinated in Italian dressing, grilled or baked. I would also put about half the spinach in because there did seem to be a lot! Then I would add some artichoke.YUM! I can't wait to make it again!

So that is my vegetarian meal! Sorry that this is my third blog for today, if you were bored I am sure it gave you something to read anyway!

1 comment:

  1. I made the Pasta Primavera from that site last night. It was super easy, and I really liked it, although Matthew didn't because (get this) it was too light! Lol! Sometimes he's really silly!
    That recipe looks delicious though, and I put in my recipe box on the site. :)

    ReplyDelete